Tuesday, January 13, 2009

MY Space

Did you think I was going to give you my web address on myspace? Not me. I do not call that my space. My space refers to the distance I prefer you keep when near me.

Do you have a space limit also. Surely you do.
I do not like to be called by a nickname if that is not my given name. Nancy can lead to people calling me Nan or Nanc. That's not ok. That is entering my space. I might be ok with a close friend calling me that or my husband.

I will tell you a true story but leave out the name of the facility and the name of the perp so it won’t offend anyone. A couple of weeks ago I was at a facility that I go to at least once a week. There are many people there, mostly the same ones. John Doe seems to always be near an exit when I am wanting to exit. He wants a smile or handshake. I know this because he tells me to smile. I can survive that.

Then a couple of weeks ago as I was making way to exit there he was again. No surprise to me. I did the usual. “Hello”, but added a smile in hopes I would satisfy his need. He stepped in front of me blocking my exit. Hmmm not sure why but I obliged and stopped in my speedy tracks. He then TELLS me I need to give him a hug.

He stands there.

I stand there.

I realize he is serious, he’s not moving.

I put my head down, move forward and I feel pretty sure, I gave him a hug.

It was all so icky that I kind of blocked it all out.

I told a close friend how I felt. The next time I had to go back they promised to run block for me. On the way out the door, sure enough, there was John Doe, watching and waiting for me. I turned to see if my friend were aware and coming to my aid.

Sure enough they ran block for me.

Now that is what I call a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment