Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Shoes, Socks and Masks

I had a blog for over 4 years then went dry last summer.

I never thought I would give my words out again but here I am anyway.

Shoes, they cover the socks that cover my feet. I don't know why I find my feet so hard to reveal. I cover them with socks when I go to the doctor. I wear sandals and nail polish in summer to cover as much of them as possible. Shoes to cover the socks that might be considered silly by some.

Masks. So many masks we wear.

Just like the sock and shoes I sometimes wear a mask of a smile. Smiling when I would rather not. Laughing when I don't feel like it inside. Pretending or faking it, it is a toss up. It is the right thing to do sometimes, to smile or be a part of a group that you don't agree with or understand.

I work with children. It's because I love children. Many of them need an advocate. The elderly also. Why is it I see defenseless people being cast off, forgotten, left on their own for another time. A time when life will fit moments of joy with the children. A time when there is nothing else to do so listening to an older person share of their life memories is not such a burden.

Is is life gets too busy for some. Is it people forget they were once a child and someday will be that senior. Did they have a terrible parent/example.

I will continue to smile and show kindness. I will keep open my ears and eyes to the wondrous way the young people see the most tiniest of bugs or leaves or droplets of rain. I will not ignore the elderly as they pass by me on the sidewalks. Even a hello or smile of recognition can make a world of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment