Sunday, April 10, 2011

5 minutes

"Five minutes away." That was the text message I sent one of my sons to let him know I was almost to their house for a visit.

My stomach muscles were tight. I was anxious. I had been on spring break from school and in trying to conserve gas, as gas prices are WAY too high, I opted to make the 40 minute drive only twice instead of the 5 day trips to work then stopping to visit them in between jobs.

It was only a matter of moments before I arrived but during then, I thought about how we might spend our time together, I
wondered if they were both up, if they had eaten and if they hadn't, what could I make for them, if we would play Yahtzee or a card game. Maybe they had a new puzzle we could work on together....

Finally the last corner to turn on. I pulled onto the gravel easement road. One hand was on the seat belt 'clicker'. As I pulled into the carport I could see out of the corner of my eye, the side door to the house open. Tears of joy welled in my eyes. I wiped them away, grabbed my keys, purse and cell phone then headed to the o
pen arms of the biggest part of my life......

~~


Five minutes away....only this time it was in the opposite direction. I was heading back to my apartment. If only....but if only's are only wishes and wishes don't always come true. My stomach muscles were tight. I was anxious.
..

Out of all the parts of my life, being a mother is the TOPS.



One day I will be just like Elmer Fudd, owning a mansion and a yacht. My children and grandchildren will be with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment