Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Forest For the Trees

It's so hard to see my life in the bigger picture...trees get in the way of my view...

...when my mind and life are consumed with a kinda sorta fog and my heart is filled with brokenness...

Once upon a time and not so long ago, my day drifted on in the usual way, every moment accounted for with busy work. At the end of the day I took time to sit and watch a movie to unwind a bit.

My cell phone chimmed. It was a text message from my youngest son. He said, "good night. I want chocolate".

I could relate to the fact that it was night time and that it was good that the day was over and the chocolate part...well you know. :)

I replied, letting him know that sharing chocolate with him sounded like a great plan.

A second chim alert.

My son sent a second message - "Dad really loves you. Thought you should know".

My reply - "What prompted that?"

His reply - "Dad told me to tell you so and that if you feel lonely, you can come home".

My reply - "Thanks for sharing that with me. Have a good sleep".

What was I to say in response to my 14 year old son being a pawn?

I knew I would sleep that night, at least make an attempt at it.
I knew the stars would still be in the night sky, even if they were hidden by clouds.
I knew tomorrow would come and days would be brighter.
But then, I did not know the many storms that I must endure before the brightness of the dawn...

No comments:

Post a Comment