Sunday, September 6, 2009

The meaning of today



Do you ever wonder about oddball things?
Don't think I don't cause I do.
And, I think you do too.

This morning as I was combing through my hair trying to decide if I want to command the hair dryer to give me a new hair style, I thought, what if I just let my hair 'air dry' today. I mean, what if I were camping.........screech went my mental brakes...camping won't happen so I don't need to file away a hair style for IF I ever went camping cause that just ain't gonna happen. Onward to what if's...I were in the hospital. Ok, I have been there and done that a few times. It is the end of my four day off weekend and I felt like doing more out of my ordinary mundaneness...is that a word...like I did the first two days of my four days in a row off and opted at that point to let my hair 'air dry'.

Who noticed? Only I. But it felt good inside.

Then...I got to thinking about the day, September 6th, Sunday. Today doesn't have anymore meaning than yesterday did nor will it have less meaning, I am certain, than tomorrow but it is a milestone nonetheless.

Today will not be nor can be like any other day. I might follow the same routines for the most part but even still, today is mine to do with, and yours too! :) Does that all make sense? Not everything will or needs to...sometimes.

Each new day begins with it's own unique meaning and memories. Questions. I have as many questions that run through my head as I have tums on the bedside stand.

What can I do today, that I might not have done yesterday to enhance, improve, amplify, boost, beautify, elevate, intensify, or strengthen my life?

Does it all matter in the order of things, if today were the first day of the week, month or year or if it were the last?

Do I need to wake early to capture the first stroke of a new day and remain awake until the clock chimes at midnight to make the most of each day?

Do I even remember why I am where I am in life?

Have I changed, and if so, is it dramatically, and if so why?

Have I ignored friends or have they ignored me?

Is it really good to take time to reflect on the days gone past?

Is it then oddball that I look for intention in the path I walk each day and in the dreams I dream?

Is it so oddball that I strive to make sure most every mark I make on this earth whether by speech or footprints, have their own quality of pristine sui generis?

And, what if every so often, after striving for so much in each day, and feeling so inadequate, will I look upon the world and all the people in it and know the beauty that surrounds me?

No comments:

Post a Comment