Friday, April 23, 2010

conversation

I went to get my nails done. It is becoming a monthly habit that I treat myself to.



I took a baby step out of my comfort zone and let a new person do my nails. She spoke half English and half Vietnamese.



We carried on conversation while she fancied up my fingernails. Really it wasn't conversation as only half of her sentences were in English. It was awkward for me.



I wondered if she felt the same way. I wondered if she were really getting the just of what I was saying as I really didn't fully know what she was talking about. Only facial expressions and a word here and there led me in somewhat understanding what she was trying to say.



Did she wish she knew more words and the meaning of those words as I did of hers?



I find that so in the company of others at times. I made new friends and have been going to new places recently. I feel like a foreigner sometimes. We all speak English and yet the references they make to movies or topics most of them have in common, leaves me out in the woods somewhere. While out there in the woods, perhaps I can visit with Pooh and Eeyore :) Times like that my life feels trivial, kinda sorta lost in a sea of faces.



Do you know that feeling? Can you relate?

No comments:

Post a Comment