Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The End Of A Very Long Day

...and so it was, at the end of a very long and semi stressful day, I made my way along the highway toward home. It was dark, as night had fallen. Few cars were on the road. Most folks were where they wanted or needed to be. I wanted to be somewhere and yet unsure of where as I have not figured out where I fit in at quite yet.

I had almost an hour of drive yet to complete before making it to the place I call home. I put on my cruise control and reached for my cell phone that was resting between my legs. I felt a need to send one of my sons a text message...and so I did.

"I wanted you to know that I appreciate the way you take such good care of me."

I sat the phone back down on the empty passenger seat. It was quiet out that night. I felt like being quiet also and was too weary to turn on some tunes to revive me.

I stared at the road ahead of me, focusing on the white line that steered my course. No stars in the sky to be seen or keep me company.

A flash of light caught my eye. It was from my cell phone. A text had been sent. It was from my son -

"That's what I'm suppose to do. Nightie night."

I was no longer alone, he felt more near to me somehow. Love now kept my heart company. A flood of tears cleansed me. I felt a bit of strength return that I have been robbed of in recent days. At least enough strength to softly say aloud -

"...this too shall pass"



A Mother's Song
Tying little shoe laces
Wiping off dirty faces
Are just a couple of things
That a mother will do...
Mending a broken heart
Is only just a part
Of the care and the love
That I've given you...
With a Kool-aid smile
And a sparkle in your eyes
I wrap you in my arms
And whisper this advice...
Be strong, be kind
Be patient and in time
You'll find out, my son
What true love is all about
Be faithful and be true
Show love in all you do
Then you'll know, just how
You make your mother proud
Now, little boy days have passed
And you've grown up so fast
But in my heart
That little boy will never be far...
You've made your mother so proud...

No comments:

Post a Comment