Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Dark



I grew up being afraid of the dark. I played games in my mind to get me through moments of fear. You too?

At night, coming home alone from the skating rink when I was 11 or 12, I would walk along Monroe Street. Tall trees lined the side of the street I walked on. They seemed friendly. Hey, I was just a kid! I didn't give them names but I did make believe that they protected me on my walk.

I never figured how to flip off the light switch and be safely under the covers of my bed at the same time. After taking a running leap into my bed, I would lay there, clutching the edge of the sheet and cover until I would drift to sleep.

If I knew then what I know now, childhood would of been more free from that burden.

All along it was fear of the unknown, not the dark itself.

I know that now. It won't change the past but at least I don't have to have my bedroom arranged with the bed up under the light switch. :)

I do however, still have a fond memory of those trees along Monroe Street...

No comments:

Post a Comment