Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Or Not



Julie, Sheryl and I were heading to Spokane for a ladies weekend conference. I was appropriately dressed to arrive at our hotel destination with semi dress shoes, nice jeans and semi dress blouse.

What was I thinking?

What I had been thinking was the word safe. After all, Sheryl was with us and Julie will not be wanting to attempt any uncharted, unplanned adventures on this purposeful drive.

Vantage has a beautiful Wild Horse Monument viewpoint. You need to know that now in order to keep up with Julie's thinking.

I assumed it was a rest stop when Julie suddenly took an exit off the freeway. I didn't mind, I had been drinking coffee all morning and could use a 'coffee break'.

I was riding shot gun. Sheryl was in behind me. The car stopped. I saw a few cars. I saw a few people. I saw no restroom. I saw no Honey Buckets.

Hmmmm

I dropped the visor to expose the mirror and make eye contact with Sheryl to see if she was aware of what was gong on. Nope. I searched her eyes, they were as blank as mine.

"Julie, Julie, Julie, when will this end?"

"Let's give it a try. It's not a far walk," said Julie as she reached around the seat for her hiking boots.

Sheryl and I got out of her car in disbelief. I don't know what Sheryl was thinking but I was wondering if Julie remembered we had a destination to get to. The path leading up to the horses was narrow. One narrow dusty path up, a separate narrow dusty path down. True enough, it did not look like it was too steep. Nor did the path look long. Maybe a 5 minute walking time.

Sheryl opted out. She is the smart one :)

I am either foolish or have more adventure in me that I care to admit to. I followed Julie in my semi dress shoes but nothing else to trade in to. I won't let that happened again on any trip with Julie.

There we were, walking up the trail. Once I get going I am OK. It's just getting over the initial change of mode. I looked back a few times to see how Sheryl was doing and wondered if she might join us but no, she was leaning against the car and I almost thought I could see a smile that might be interrupted more of a smirk.

It was an easy trail. I was more than fine with the shoes I had on. It was a straight shot up. No big boulders or struggles of any kind. Any person could have gone up there even with sandals on. It was worth it, at the moment. Remember, this story is not over yet.

The horse sculptures were amazing. Please do stop if you ever make it this way.

Now the trek down. Simple enough, I just walked up that puppy and viewed the down path on my way up. It's gonna be a cinch and in a few short minutes we will be on our way to Spokane.

With the first two steps down I knew something was different. Have you ever noticed that going up a bit of an embankment is much easier than trying to balance yourself going down without rolling?

Don't laugh. That will only add to the horror I was already experiencing, not to mention rude.

Julie led. I followed, that is until the first two steps were completed and there I stood while she kept going. I had to stop and analyze the situation.

Julie finally stopped. I heard mumbling so I think she was chatting with me, assuming I was right behind her.

I'm not sure exactly what I expected as response from Julie but it was not the one I got. She laughed as she walked back up towards me as if she were on an escalator.

How does she do that!!

She reached for my hand and told me she would walk me down the path with instruction. She said she would show me where to take each step at. And so it was, Julie had one of my hands, the other one she would not have been able to grab, it was flailing in the air reaching for some support that was non existent.

Julie would say, "step here."

I would not, and attempted my own step placement.

At this point I was in the midst of my own world and unable to comprehend instruction.

Again Julie pointed to a stone with her hiking boot and said, "step here."

Again I did not and again attempted my own step placement.

This pattern continued a couple more times until Julie said, "step here ... or not."

That statement made its way into my brain. I giggled. She giggled. Now I had a new issue, I had to use the bathroom.

We made it down.
Sheryl was thoroughly entertained.
I had much to write about and had learned more about myself.

Want to join us on our next road trip?

No comments:

Post a Comment