Sunday, June 21, 2009

Wagon Lady



First of all, I am not amused at having to write about this but since I mentioned I would tell you more, now I am compelled to respond.

I live in a small city. Many people, on the outside, refer to it as a village. Maybe 600 people - maybe.

We, meaning those of us who have lived here long enough to consider ourselves residents, refer to locations using a different map than you might.

For instance - "Where does the Wallace family live?"
"Just a bit up this road, take a left. The road will curve past the pond. Up a hill and past the Alpaca Farm will be where they live."

End of directions.

Note there was no mention of street or road name. hmmm

Some folks will say they are going up town or into town today. You have to figure out if that means our city itself or are they speaking of the large city that is northwest of here where the banks and shopping center is.

That leads me to my reference to the Wagon Lady.

Things and people do not necessarily have names in this part of the world/woods. Have you started figuring that one out? Is it the same in the village you are from too?

Are you at this moment wondering what in the world do those people do when they have a fire or emergency? How do the law enforcement know what house is where...don't worry, most of them are volunteer thus from this area, thus use the same language.

It's all good

It's not that we don't know each others names. Most of us are related and know many details about each other. It's just that instead of saying, I saw Mary in town or John was sure riding that tractor fast through town today, you might hear...that Bonnet Lady was in town or Overall Guy was at it again.

So came to be Wagon Lady's nickname.

Once upon a time there was a young gal in town who had several small children. When she would walk the oldest of them to school each day, she didn't have anyway to put the three small ones in one stroller. The walk was too far for their little legs. Carrying a couple of them all that way would have been hard on her. So, that smart gal put the youngest in the stroller and pulled the other two in a red wagon after placing a nice blanket down for them to ride in style and comfort, while the school aged child walked alongside her.

Each day, people from their windows would say, here comes the Wagon Lady, and smile. They could set their clocks by her arrival.

The Wagon Lady didn't know she was dubbed the Wagon Lady - until one day....

Her children had grown and were all school age. She got a job at the local school. While in the staff room, a fellow employee pointed to her saying, "I remember you. You were the Wagon Lady!"

hmmmm

Ok, it was ME. I did not know if I should be embarrassed or flattered. I sat there, probably with my mouth open wide and my eyes rolling since I was doing a LOT of memory recalling, to figure it all out. They didn't mean it in a rude way. It was simply who I was. The Wagon Lady.

So there you have it. I survived the moment. I had total recall and that was defiantly a wonderful feeling. And now, you know the story too. I bet you are wanting to come visit our lovely village.

Let me help you out with some directions.

Get off the freeway at Spiffy's.

Travel down past Mary's Corner.

When you get to Ethel you will see the yard with all the bird houses, keep going, you are getting closer.

If you pass the other Spiffy's in Morton, you have gone too far.

I look forward to your arrival.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment