Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Night Sounds

There are a lot of sounds out there and maybe even right beside you. It all depends on if you are listening, where you live and how you live.

You know I am in the country. In the mornings I have been in a ne
w routine for the past month which leads me to a different room of the house. I have had new company this summer with honey bees in my pond which by the way, are still there though less in numbers. In the back of the house lives an owl. I don't know where exactly. I don't know which tree, if it is a male or female, what color it is or what type of owl it is. And I wonder, does it all matter or is it just that I enjoy knowing it is there.

I open the door for fresh air first thing in the mornings. Of course that is after I have turned on the coffee pot! I do have my priorities in order. I use to simply open the door then proceed to my next stop on my morning list but lately I linger there a bit longer. If you are like me, you grew up being told an owl hoots. Well, just as they say a horse goes 'nay', those sounds are not what I hear coming from a horse or an owl. I was surprised. At first when I heard my new backyard friend, I thought it was Dexter, our dog. I thought he was moaning in attempt to get my attention and give him a bone. (Yes, shhhhh - I spoil our dog, I prefer to say I love on him.) Then I realized it was an owl. I don't know why it likes my back yard. If there is one tree in particular that it likes or if it is the chipmunks that visit the feeding station right below those trees that is of interest.

Maybe this wise owl - they say owls are wise - has seen me in the window in the early mornings hours on the treadmill and thought I could use a friend. Maybe the owl is in need of a friend. You see, these are the things that capture my mind and take it on travels throughout the night and day.

The owl makes a sound that to me, is tranquil. Like he is at peace. And I thought, oh how lovely that would be. Don't be silly, I am not going to try to imitate the sound but I will keep searching for that tranquil feeling.

Have a very blessed day.



No comments:

Post a Comment