Sunday, December 13, 2009

friend

I haven't posted it yet, but I have run into an old and dear friend recently. We have been visiting off and on, our work schedules seem to get in the way as work can do. However, I have already learned a lot from hanging around my friend by listening to them. Not so much to their words but to their actions. I am a listener and as such, I have found that watching a persons facial expressions and how their body language works tells me more than their words do.


What I learned recently from them is this.....one morning last week I woke to my regular routine of viewing the outside to see what the day has brought....even through the darkness of the mornings I still can see what I need to know about the day, and then the coffee pot gets turned on so I can experience the fresh brewed coffee once my shower is complete.

That morning, right as I was done shaving one leg, the water from the shower head made an odd dripping sound.....my eyes drifted in that direction and I began to panic. My hair was covered in conditioner. My one leg was still covered with shaving cream and the other was only half way done!

I quickly dropped the razor and rinsed my hair. A princess can't go to work with icky hair you know. I saw that in the rule book...giggle

I had JUST enough to rinse my hair for the most part but had to leave for work with only a partial leg shaved and well, you know about the other leg.

I told my friend how the water pipes must have frozen and there is no water. I expected a sudden rush to make a phone call or jump up to the rescue or maybe at least join my complain club. But they didn't. They were silent and listened to me. HEY! That's my job to be the listener. :)

I learned a lot from that moment. I pondered on the drive into work on how they handled it. I need to be more like that, to have more calmness. Things get done more efficiently when you have calmness. I know that but just have never given it much thought.




However, I got to be a bit of myself when I got to work. I reported to a fellow staff member of how I had no water. Her arms fell to her side in pouting, hissy throwing fashion and reported to me that she had no electricity that morning due to the cold. I was sure she would be stomping her feet any moment. I saw how it looked to not have calmness and ran through my mind how much more graceful and soothing it was to chat with someone, although a one sided chat, who handled the news so much more soundly. I realized then how I want to be in the future, how I want to handle life's glitches, large or small.

So we both continued to complained for a minute or two. I felt I might as well since it will be hopefully the last time I get to throw a hissy fit!

Ahhhhh it was bliss....giggle


No comments:

Post a Comment