Friday, January 15, 2010

...and so she asked

..."are those diamonds?"

"No, they are just stones."

Then she takes a gander at my necklace and asks once more, "Are they diamonds?"

"Yes, they are diamonds."
"Oh, how lovely they are", she said.



I wonder if she would find value in who I was by what I wore on my ears and around my neck. I wondered why they were so important to her. I wondered why I did not feel important to her as a person at our chance meeting, as what I had on.



Nancy Lee Lee is what mom called me when I was in trouble. I doubt she forgot my name and doubt she found me such a lovely child that giving me a nickname so cute was her goal. Now, at her age, with her lack of mind, she might not even remember the Nancy part of my name much less the Lee Lee. But she does seem to care when I am there visiting her. She does not care what I am wearing or the color or condition of my purse. Somehow that is important to me.



I went to lunch today with a friend. When we met outside the restaurant we hugged. I am not a hugger, most folks who know me are aware of that flaw in my character. I didn't mind the hug, in fact I embraced her back. She is a dear friend and I really enjoy her company. We chatted for hours about our life, our job, things we liked and things we didn't like. She showed me her new purse. It was covered with bling. I liked it. She likes me for me no matter if my earrings are diamond, no matter if my aging purse is worn or not.



When I am with people I always hope they are looking in my heart rather than on the outside. I feel the best of me is what is inside. Do you feel the same way too? Somedays when I look in the mirror I wish I were someone else other than simple me. When I begin some of my days I feel I am fighting with the mirror to make it happy as if something were missing.



Ahhh to be worthy of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment