Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Once Companion


The ocean is a calming place for some of us. It is for me. To hear the waves and take in the scent of the salt water and the sounds of sea birds chanting about their fine fish catch!
...and so it was where my mind wandered...I press my feet into the moist sand that almost envelopes my feet entirely.


I stand there sure footed as I watch the waves and white caps and hear them fold along the shoreline.


Soon enough I can feel the tide has increased in strength and make its way more inward. As the waves rise and then subside, I sense their delicate flow over the tops of what is left uncovered of my feet. The ocean purges it's way to me. Could it be enjoying my companionship?


As time passes the high tide begins to rage. Suddenly I find my feet more buried in the sand. So much so that I can't even see them anymore and have difficulty moving them to the surface. The depth of the water is up almost to my knees. The current is pulling at my body yet still my feet are firmly planted. I continue to feel welcome here and a calmness though. I continue to stand there in awe of the beauty that surrounds me.


The ocean is relentless. The waves grow with intensity. The water rises in sequence with my sudden arrival of anxiety.


With one crashing wave, I become off balance. My feet that were firmly planted are now in my view as I fall in an action that seems in slow motion. My body makes its resting place as if the beach were my new chair.


I know if I don't move, soon the ocean waves will consume me. I have lost the peace I had. My once companion has over-taken me. I try to stand strong. I try to be victorious. And, I tried to be a good friend.


Why does life have to be such a battle when you least expect it?

No comments:

Post a Comment